Monday, November 1, 2010

5th Graders fall in love with Mt. Kilimanjaro

     The support team just keeps growing.  My sister, Ann Marie, a teacher in New Jersey, told her colleague, Mrs. Puliatte, the 5th grade teacher, about our Kili climb. Mrs. P. is teaching her students about Africa and wanted to personalize her lesson plans.  All 21 students wrote letters to us.  They are delightful, full of enthusiasm and will certainly give Dave and me some sweet stories to share with our fellow climbers at the end of the day in our dinner tent.   
     Here are a few excerpts, in their exact words:

Bosung: "When I was in Korea, my father loved to climb mountains.  So, I climbed many mountains.  If I can climb Kilimanjaro Mountain, I will be so happy.  I wanted to climb Baik Du San Mountain because it is the tallest mountain in Korea.  But how can I not go to try climbing the Kilimanjaro Mountain?  If I get to the age of 23 I want to climb Everest Mountain.  If I climb the Kilimanjaro Moutain, it can be a good practice to climb Everest Mountain.  You will be the good mountain climber soon.  Good luck and bye."

Sue: also from Korea:  "I researched Kilimanjaro and learned some facts:  Number one:  Mount Kilimanjaro is about 19,360 ft. high.  Wait, Mt. Kilimanjaro is really high! I was so amazed and fascinated that Mrs. Burtis, you, will try to climb a mountain that my dad won't even do it!  (It is a joke!)

Grace:  "Why are you climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro if it is difficult?"

Martin:  "  I think it's great that you are doing this to support charity.  If I were homeless or in need, I would have really appreciated it.  I have been playing tennis since I was 5 and would have loved to meet a professional tennis player.  Meeting the record holder for the most grand slam singles titles would have been something to remember!"

I plan to meet Mrs. P's students soon and show them the Imax movie KILIMANJARO.  It includes 2 kids-about 11 years old, trekking to the summit. 

Happy trails,
Linda and David

No comments:

Post a Comment